Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day?????

I have never really liked Mother's Day since I quit going to my Mother's house for the day.
For some reason I sit at church and realize what a bad mother I am...
I don't do all those great things they talk about at church.
I kill every plant they hand out to mothers after church.
I miss being a mother with small children.

And, this year is the first Mother's Day without my mother.
Now I know there are at least 5 others who are in the same boat...
But, in order to really spend the whole day feeling sorry for myself, I didn't call any of them to see how they were doing.

Well, this year, Orville went off with friends to brand calves.
Chelsie and Raegan called me about noon.
Then I spent the rest of the day looking at all the pictures of my
younger family that I should be scrapbooking.
To be honest, I did put a lot onto cardstock although they are not decorated.

Then I ran across this picture...

It was a few years ago, but I like it!
Six kids and a MOTHER!
A REAL mother who tried her whole life to be that Mother they talk about at church...
When I went to church with her I thought she did a great job of being that mother.
Then, when she lived with me years later, she made the
same comments to me about Mother's Day.
She didn't think she had done very well.
I assured her she had.
She even admitted to never being able to keep the plants alive...

I absolutely did not agree with her that she wasn't a good Mother!!!
I felt she was,
and still do!!!
I have always been very proud of her and have tried to let her know that...

She was very patient.
She always listened.
Even when I had to tell her things that would break her heart,
she would hug me and tell me all would be OK.
She helped with homework
whether it was learning geometry or make a volcano that really exploded.
She sewed clothing for her kids because her budget was not very big.
She did not like to sew, but she did...


She loved her children more than anything else in the world.
She loved all her children's spouses.
If necessary, she worked on it.
It goes without saying that she loved her grandkids... That is easy!!!

I can do that can't I?
I think I have learned a lot about patience.
I know I love my children more than anything else in the world.
And I love their spouses.
If necessary, I work on it!
I am not too good at Geometry but I can sew you a wedding dress. I love to sew.
And, I have made a volcano that exploded!
And, of course, I love my grandkids!!!

Well, maybe Mother's Day is for spurring Mothers on...
Doing your best to become like your own Mother...
Thinking about how great of a Mother she was and what I can do to become more like her...

So, I am at work.
Thinking about my Mother.
Not feeling sorry for myself because it"s not Mother's Day anymore...

The whole school, but me, went to Hogle Zoo...
I got left here...
My phone in my office won't call out...
I can't get into my email...
I left my cell phone home...
It is Frank's birthday and it's Chelsie's birthday.

Time to move on...
Time to smile...
It's going to be a GREAT Monday!

4 comments:

boteen said...

Yes it is a great day. I love your comments, I also hate feeling like I'm not as good as they are always talking about. But I love my children and they always let me know they love me. So all is good! We went to Kim's sac. meeting because the kids were singing this neat song. Kim told me to bring a kleenex. But I didn't. The sac. song was I Stand All Amazed and the closing song was Oh My Father. Should have brought the kleenex. It was a triple whammy. But it was still all good. love ya sis

Mom C said...

Odd isn't it that a day set aside to they honor some of the most important people in the world, is a day that so many don't like because they feel guilty or because
they "aren't" moms, or because the family treats it like just any other day. I have always like mother's day, even though I wish I had done lots of things differently, even though I generally fix my own dinner, wash the dishes etc, etc, I guess I love it because I LOVE being a mom, good-bad-ugly, I still love being a mom. Debbie

AshleeBashlee said...

Can you send me your kids addresses to ashchristiansen@gmail.com? Thanks

Jenn and Jared said...

Momma,
I love you and thank you for being the kind of mother I can aspire to be.
Jenn